OCMC Mission Teams allow volunteers to share the Orthodox faith with people around the world. Which of the following would most impact your decision to participate on an OCMC Mission Team?

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tanzania and James - Forgiveness Sunday 2011 Update

Dear friends,

Nisamehe mimi, mwenye dhambi. Forgive me, a sinner.

And greetings from Mwanza, here at the beginning of Great and Holy Lent. After weeks of travel in January, I have been grateful to be home for the past month. Life here is slowly developing a rhythm. I've been busy furnishing my new apartment, a task which is complicated by the need to negotiate the price of everything from wardrobes to spoons. Back in Gainesville I furnished my house by visiting thrift stores and borrowing from the family stash. Neither is an option here, so this is a new experience.

No news is generally good news, so I'm happy to say there's not a lot to report from this part of the continent. We have joined the whole world in concern and prayer over recent events in North Africa, but society here is not being harmed by these far-away happenings.

As we enter Great and Holy Lent, I have been reflecting on the past year. I arrived in Tanzania during the Resurrection season of 2010 and so last year Lent was my time of final preparation for beginning missionary service. Now I am getting ready to see Christ risen in a new context, and to go forth from that Resurrection into my second year here in our Holy Archdiocese of Mwanza.

I am grateful for your presence with me in this past year. It is an awesome responsibility, but a profound privilege and encouragement to be here because of you. Your faithful prayers have sustained me. Your correspondence has encouraged me and has kept me close despite our physical distance. And your consistent, faithful financial support allows me to remain in this place. Thank you.

And stay in touch!

Mungu akusamehe. God forgives.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment