OCMC Mission Teams allow volunteers to share the Orthodox faith with people around the world. Which of the following would most impact your decision to participate on an OCMC Mission Team?

Friday, July 23, 2010

First Update From Africa: Michael Pagedas

I’ve just completed my second week in Africa, and I thought now would be a good time for my first official blog update from Africa. Here is Part 1 of 2 on how the past couple of weeks have gone:

On July 4, I flew from O’Hare Airport in Chicago to London’s Heathrow Airport. I had a 12-hour layover in London, so I took the Tube into Central London, where I met up with a family friend at the Leicester Square stop. He took me on a walking tour of London, and I got to hit the high points: Downing Street, where the Prime Minister lives, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Parliament, Big Ben, Parliament, Big Ben, Parliament. I had never been to London before, and it was really nice to finally get a chance to see it. That evening, I caught a flight to Entebbe Airport in Uganda. I spent the next few days in Kampala visiting friends and exploring the city. I caught a World Cup game at a popular night spot and was saddened to hear that two days after I left Kampala, a series of bombs went off during two World Cup parties. An American who was among the dead worked for an organization called “Invisible Children” that is working to end the use of child soldiers in Uganda. I went to the website soon after hearing about the tragedy and saw that a memorial webpage had been set up in honor of the worker who was killed in the bombing. I felt the need to include that link in this blog. If you are moved to donate to the cause, great. If not, remember him and his family in your prayers.

http://www.natehenn.com/

I arrived in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania on Friday, July 9, and met up with three of the other people who are also a part of Team Tanzania. James Hargrave, who had been here for about three months before the rest of us arrived, proved to be as good a tour guide as a host when he welcomed us to Tanzania. Katie Wilcoxson and Felice Stewart, both of whom will be working with me in Bukoba, arrived a few hours before I did. Our home for the next few months will be the Salvation Army compound in Dar es Salaam. More on that and Swahili lessons in my next blog.

Thank you to my support team!!

Peace

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment